Image Map

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Guest Blogger \\ Pacific Northwest Hikes

I am so excited to be having Justin Garin, the writer for Pacific Northwest Hikes, on my blog today! I follow him on instagram and I am a huge fan.  I asked him to tell us a little bit about all the adventures he goes on and how he gets such amazing photos. 

Follow Justin on instagram @vapormonkey

_________________________________________________________________________________


Lena Lake, Olympic National Park


Hello followers of Leslie! My name is Justin and I write the blog Pacific Northwest Hikes & Adventures. Leslie has always shown great interest of my photography and I'm very excited to be writing on her blog. I have known Leslie in high school, but had no idea that she shared a passion for photography as well. I enjoy her photography, especially her portraits!

     Now for a little about myself. I grew up here in Washington and the Olympic National Park served as my backyard. At a young age I always found myself gazing at the mountains and I enjoyed the weekend trips to the Olympic National Park with my family. It wasn't until 2009 that I started venturing pass the full parking lots and well groomed trails. I can still remember my very first backpacking trip.  It was to a place called Enchanted Valley and we had hiked 13.5 miles to our destination. From that trip I realized that I wanted to be able to share the unscathed landscapes, the towering trees, cascading rivers, and snow covered peaks. I wanted people to see what I saw and to appreciate mother nature more.

     I could go on and on talking about the things I have seen, but lets get back to talking about photography! There are many places to see here in Washington, but if your fairly new to hiking I would recommend Marymere Falls trail. Marymere Falls is a fairly short hike at 2 miles, but every person I have brought falls in love! In the summer the trail is usually busy, but around this time of the year the parking lot is fairly empty. Marymere falls is located in between Mount Storm King and Aurora Ridge and tumbles its way into Barnes Creek, which drains into Lake Crescent. It's a well groomed trail with plenty of signs! Marymere falls is a short hike, but leaves you plenty of time to go swimming at Lake Crescent or explore some more!

Marymere Falls
f/22 iso @100 5s exposure


Barnes Creek 
f/22 iso @100 10s exposure

Here are few things that I do to take long exposure shots.
1.  Be sure to pack a wide angle lens, a neutral density filter, tripod and a remote to have your camera take the shot.
2.  Try to compose your shot before setting up your tripod it will save you a lot of time!
3.  Be sure to put your ISO to the lowest setting and I find that using the highest aperture helps get a long exposure.  Shoot in manual!
4.  Use a neutral or graduated density filter.  These filters allow you to get smooth silky water.
5.  Use the remote to take the picture.  Pushing the shutter button on your camera moves the tripod, which results in a not so sharp photo.


Another helpful hint is that sunny days aren't the best days for long exposure shots.  Cloudy days act as a filter and allows you to get long exposure shots.  
I try to follow these five rules every time to help get a great long exposure shot.  On top of all of that be sure to pack the "ten essentials" for hiking and make sure others know where you are at.  Do some research on the trail and try to find recent trip reports.  

Hope these tips help and you inspire you to get out and explore! Thanks for reading and thank you Leslie for giving me some space on your blog!     




Staircase Rapids is another short enjoyable hike full of cascades

No comments:

Post a Comment