Image Map

Thursday, February 28, 2013

You Deserve A Photo Project | Guest Post

I am so excited to be apart of this great program called You Deserve A Photo. You should check out the facebook page and all of the other wonderful photographers involved.





I'm Alana Allred.  I am from Calgary, Canada and I am living in Rexburg while my husband and I attend school at BYU-Idaho.  We are the proud parents of a rowdy 18-month-old boy.  I am studying communications with an emphasis on advertising.   I married the boy that I fell head-over-heels for when I was 14 at EFY, but it took a lot longer for him to notice me.  

You Deserve A Photo is a project I started in January where I have collaborated with some South Eastern Idaho photographers who have donated some mini photo sessions for families in need.  Families are nominated by either themselves or someone else.  Throughout March families will be picked from the nominations made, and if all goes well, maybe we can do it all over again.  There is more information on the website: www.youdeserveaphoto.com

I decided to create You Deserve A Photo for a couple of reasons.  In order to graduate I need a senior project that applies some of the things I have learned in my schooling and occupies 50 hours.  As a mother, wife and a student, I already feel like my time is being pulled in too many directions and it is hard to create a balance.  I decided that I wanted to have a senior project that was worth my time, I wanted to do something that I felt good about.  

I also had this experience before Christmas in 2012 that made me realize just how fortunate I am, and I took a new interest in helping those around me who aren't so lucky.  We were providing Christmas for a family in need, and I kept thinking about how I should find a way to give them something that they probably couldn't give themselves, like family pictures.  I ignored that re-accuring thought, because I am no photographer, and it might be hard.  

When contemplating a senior project, I remembered that thought - and I realized I could probably do it.  I felt like I finally found something that would be worth my time, and also give back to the community.  I couldn't have done it without so many awesome and willing photographers.  

I just can't wait to be able to bless the lives of some families in Idaho.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing wonderful these photographs. Photography is all about tact. It's never easy to take perfect photograph.

    Event Photographers

    ReplyDelete