Image Map

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

shutter speed | tuesday tip

When I first got mtg camera, shutter speed was the one thing that confused me the most. I didn't even bother to learn about it because I set my camera to Aperture Priority and my shutter speed was chosen for me. But I wouldn't always get the best images, some would be too dark, some would be blown out and too bright, so I knew I had to learn how to shoot in Manual Mode so I had all of the control. 

It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to shoot in manual, there is just a lot of things to consider. ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed are a few of the important things to always consider. If you change one, it will effect them all. 

But I just wanted to talk a little about shutter speed. I took my camera and these beautiful peonies outside and just played around and just kept changing my shutter speed. A slower shutter speed will let in more light, as in the picture below. 

f/1.8, iso 250, 1/60

When I have such a blown out picture, I need to speed up my shutter speed so that it wont let in as much light. I turned it to 1/320 and this is the picture I got!

f/1.8, iso 250, 1/320


f/1.8, iso 250, 1/500
It is really much easier to practice on something that wont move. Shutter speed also will affect how sharp or how blurry an image is and if you have a fast moving object (like a child) in low light, you wont be able to slow down your shutter speed as much or else he will become a blur.

This is an example of my shutter speed being too fast and not letting enough light in the camera, resulting in a dark image.

f/1.8, iso 100, 1/4000
 I adjusted my shutter speed and made sure it would be slow enough to brighten the picture but fast enough to freeze most of his movement.
f/1.8, iso 100, 1/800
And another example of how this photo is a little darker then I wanted, so I just slowed down my shutter speed a bit and got a much brighter image.

f/1.8, iso 100, 1/2000

 f/1.8, iso 100, 1/1250

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I'm going to have to try this out. Now, how do I change my shutter speed . . . Lol.

    ReplyDelete