Image Map

Thursday, October 11, 2012

10 best tips when traveling with toddlers





In the 1 and 1/2 years of Patrick's life, he has been on more plane rides and road trips than most. His first road trip was to Utah when he was no more then a week old. We have driven the long journey to and from Washington several times. Utah at least once a month and to go see my in-laws several times a month (only an hour away but still can be challenge).  Patrick and I have been on several long plane rides to and from Hawaii, as well as Ohio. And yes! Most of the time it is just me and him.

By now, we have it down to the science. One of my proudest moment, is when a women commented how fast we got through the security gate at the airport! Don't get me wrong it has been filled with ups and downs and pretty messy and stinky situations. And while there will always be challenges, it doesn't have to be miserable. But preparation is key!

It is so important and easiest to travel with absolute smallest amount possible. Anything in excess will be hard to carry and keep track of.

Diapers and Wipes: Take double what you usually use and definitely bring the whole bag of wipes. You'll use them for everything.

Always bring an extra set of clothes for you and your little one. You never knew when you will be desperate for a clean shirt. My little guy has puked and pooped all over me and luckily I had a change of clothes. There is nothing more embarrassing then smelling like your child's poop.

It is also important to bring little trash bags for dirty diapers and clothes. Theses are the ones we like, it keeps the smell contained.

Plenty of snacks! Pack snacks that are easy and no mess. We love plum organic snacks because they are easy to travel with, Patrick can eat them with little or no mess at all and they are healthy. We also try to only bring one or two sippy cups for him. We might have to rinse out his cup more, but its worth not carrying the extra stuff.

I know that you can't and shouldn't worry about all those crazy germs. It is especially important for us to wipe Patrick's hands because he is a thumb sucker.  I also can count several times when he stinks up the car with one of his dirty diapers and a little thing of Lysol can make that stench go away. Making the car ride that more enjoyable.

Sometimes it is hard for me to limit the amount of toys to bring. But only bring 1 or 2 toys. Everything is just extra "stuff" and it gets so hard. I have found that I have a lot of fun and interesting things in my purse that will keep him entertained, like a brush or a mirror. These are things I already have, I just need to use my imagination.

A blanket is something we often forget and it is a huge regret. It not only keeps them warm but it smells like home and that will provide much needed comfort.

If all else fails use technology! An ipad or iphone are great distractions. Yo Gabba Gabba is our favorite. It doesn't keep Patrick's attention for too long but even 15 minutes of him not moving around is enough time for me to catch my breath.

Most important is to have patience. Things are not going to go the way you planned. Your little one will throw the toy and hit someone in the head or spill milk all over the backseat of the car. Patience will keep the tough situations a little easier. And remember, it might not be funny in the moment but it will be something to laugh at later.

I know there are a lot of frequent flyer and traveling moms out there, what are your tips and must-haves? Check out this blog for more tips and good ideas.


2 comments:

  1. I love this Leslie! I just recently took Hudson on his first flight. It wasn't a long flight, only like 50 min, but I was so nervous. Turns out I just really needed to relax, because it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Leslie! I love the tip to think about the stuff you already have on hand. They really are so entertained by non-toys!

    ReplyDelete